The foundation for the Stuttgart art collection was laid in 1924 by Count Silvio della Valle di Casanova, with his donation of a group of paintings by Swabian Impressionists. Today the collection comprises some 15,000 works representing both regional and international art positions. The collection offers insight into the development of art from the late nineteenth century to classical modernism and art after 1945 up to the present.
Only a small portion can be shown in the permanent collection area in the Kunstmuseum Stuttgart. The online art collection will be able to make a considerably greater share of these holdings accessible—at any time, regardless of location, and with well-founded background information.